From Michigan to Kenya and back, this is the true life story of a crazy family and their desire to follow Christ, wherever that may lead them. Mounds of Stone is our best attempt to organize our thoughts, chronicle our lives, and keep our friends, family, and supporters updated on all things Mitchell. Each entry is a small mound of stones to memorialize where God has been faithful.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Update

Update on what's going on....I came home from the hospital last night around 9 pm. They inserted a PICC line around 7:00, after trying in my left arm unsuccessfully, they finally got it into my right arm. It is in a bad place, right in the crook of my elbow, so it is very painful, but at least it is in. They decided not to do the drain because they said the fluid collection did not fit the criteria for a drain (it didn't have clear boarders, it wasn't big enough, it wasn't in a good place) So....that is both good and bad news to me. Good because I will not have a drain hanging out of me, but bad because we will not get a sample of the bacteria that caused this (if it was even the cause). They have decided to treat me with IV antibiotics at home. I had the visiting nurse come today for the first time and give me my antibiotic. It is a much more involved process at home than in the hospital. But at least I am home! Here are some things you can pray for: PICC lines run the risk of infection and bloodclots. I seem to be prone to complications, so please pray that these don't occur. Also pray that this antibiotic will take care of the problem once and for all and I don't have to run to the hospital once a month for the rest of my life. On a lighter note, here are some observations I have made from my experiences:
Ways to know you have been in the hospital too long:
1) You have a favorite room on a certain floor and know what the bad rooms are just by hearing the room numbers
2) You immediately notice changes to the hospital menu upon first glance
3) Nurses, secretaries and techs say "Oh, you're back" upon seeing you
4) You are on a first name basis with your doctors and consider inviting them to your next birthday party
5) You know which elevators to take and which to avoid because they make scary creaking noises
6) Your friends pencil "visit Erin at Butterworth Hospital" into their weekly plans
7) You change your mailing address to Michigan Ave., Grand Rapids.

2 comments:

  1. Erin,
    I have been praying for you! I wish there was more I could do. May God's grace and peace cover you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I'm so glad you're back home and will keep praying that this is the last complication! Your positive attitude continues to inspire me :)
    Sending love and hugs your way,
    Sara Billin

    ReplyDelete