From Michigan to Kenya and back, this is the true life story of a crazy family and their desire to follow Christ, wherever that may lead them. Mounds of Stone is our best attempt to organize our thoughts, chronicle our lives, and keep our friends, family, and supporters updated on all things Mitchell. Each entry is a small mound of stones to memorialize where God has been faithful.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Trip details

Eric did a great job of hitting the highlights so far. I'll give you a little more details of some of the steps that got us here.

We got to the airport 2 hours early and THANKFULLY we had so much family there to help entertain the boys and help with bags. As we get up to the counter I am holding my breath as they weigh the first bag. Of course, it the one really overweight bag that is 67 lbs. "Oh... says the man, are they ALL going to be overweight?" Ha, ha, I say, Of course not! (I am starting to sweat) Then ever single proceeding bag is 51-52 lbs. (limit is 50) And every single bag he makes us start to unpack and take something out. No mercy. I of course am freaking out, " I need that packet of taco seasoning! Don't get rid of my 10 packages of streamers! (hey, people have birthdays in Africa too) Alex's SHOES! Eric of course, is calm as a cucumber and starts just shoving the stuff in the 2 bags that happen to be under 50. I eventually wander away after I realize I am no help in this process. 

We eventually get through and say our very tearful goodbyes, and then get ready for the first plane ride. The boys were so excited to get to ride on a real plane. The first flight was only 40 min to Detroit, in which I think they assumed we were then "at Africa" as they say. If only. 
We quickly got them some dinner and then boarded the plane to Amsterdam. I got the privilege of sitting next to Tucker on the side and Eric and the other 3 boys were in the middle row. 
6:15- Board the plane
6:45- Boys all watching their own screen/movie, Me entertaining Tucker with all my tricks
7:00- Tucker occasionally screaming, not too bad. Give everyone Benadryl
7:30- Novelty of the movie is wearing off for some children, dinner arrives, a nice distraction
8:00- Tucker is screaming now. We let him out of jail (we brought a car seat and bought him a seat on the plane) and he is roaming the aisle. Laying prostrate on the ground. Eating crumbs. (Benadryl, where are your effects???) Poking other passengers. Dumping things. Wiping everything in sight with a wet wipe.
8:30- Alex is getting irrationally tired (no nap) and yelling that Eric took away his salad (that he had not touched) so he couldn't eat it. (Why isn't Benadryl working??)
9:10- Cabin lights go off. Hope this will calm everyone. Chain Tucker to his carseat, screaming resumes and pleas for rescue. 
9:30 Mean male flight attendant comes and yells at Tucker, informing him that "no one wants to hear this" Yeah Dude, thanks, THAT helped. 
Benadryl, you are dead to me. 
I am so tired at this point, and feeling nauseous. I start to think of things I would rather be doing than being on this plane with these people (my own children). The list included but was not limited to:
* Potty training 30 children at once
*Working in an onion factory
*Arm wrestling an alligator
9:30- Tucker gives up and goes to sleep. 
10:00- Other children fall asleep in very uncomfortable positions. Eric and I drift in and out of semi-sleep. 
1:00 a.m.- Alex wakes crying, screaming because he is uncomfortable, Eric and I try holding him, shuffling him around, nothing helps.
1:30 a.m.- Lights come on in the cabin. Wake up everyone! it's breakfast time! AJ goes crazy with madness and pukes everywhere, all over his clothes, the pillow, blanket and Eric's arm. We quickly try to clean it up without others seeing. Cole wakes, crying, Tucker wakes, Cooper sleeps on.
2:00 a.m. (Yet, it is morning in Amsterdam, 8:00 a.m., so we must now tell our bodies, It's Morning! Rise and shine!) Drag stuff through the airport and then sit and wait for 3 hours for our next flight. 
11:30 a.m.- Board the plane for Nairobi. Overall this flight went much better. Tucker and Alex slept for the first few hours, Eric and I dozed off and on and Cole and Cooper watched 8 straight hours of movies and kid TV. And I let them, because THEY WEREN'T CRYING OR PUKING ON ME. 

8:30 p.m.- Arrive in the burned down Nairobi airport, wait for many hours to get luggage, in which the boys ran around (Cooper slept) and Eric fought valiantly for every one of our 14 bags. Then I search out the two drivers who came for us, they take the boys and I to a van (in which I pray that they are not in fact kidnapping us) while Eric tries to manuvere 3 carts of luggage up a hill.  
10:30 pm. We arrive at the Mennonite guest house where we promptly feel asleep and Eric had to wake all of us up at 10:30 this morning. He for some reason, is livin' on crazy and no sleep. 
Today was lovely, just relaxing at the house and letting the boys play on the slide and big swing. We also played a little tennis (aka hitting balls in all random directions) and walked around exploring. We went out to dinner with Stephanie and Ashleigh, new friends from Tenwek sent down to help us shop and got cell phones. 
Tomorrow I will go shopping ALL DAY with the girls and Eric will stay here with the boys. Hope it goes well! Thanks for reading this and caring about us! Let the adventures begin!

8 comments:

  1. So glad you guys made it. I remember those flights all too well. Ours was explosive diarrhea and not puke but regardless, you have officially been inducted into the missionary family when you have a story like that. Don't let Steph go too crazy with shopping! We are anxious for you to arrive at Tenwek! We'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAAHAAA!!!!! Now THIS is reality. This is SO how I would have remembered the trip. Nate would have remembered it way more like Eric did. Eric's rosy portrayal is no longer in my mind. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW . . . What a trip!! So glad that is BEHIND you. Your blog is such a great way to share your experiences and also preserve the memories for you to look back on and for your boys to read when they are older. You both paint such expressive and colorful word pictures. I'm looking forward to reading more of your adventures!
    God bless you,
    Robin Vriesman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the cold truth. I could put myself in your spot and cry with you. My favorite part...Benadryl you are dead to me. I am praying for you all! I will continue to enjoy and laugh (with you) about your journey ahead of you. So excited to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH. MY. WORD!!! I am even more thankful now that you made it there safely! What a harrowing trip! I can't believe the flight attendant actually said that... as if you were encouraging him to cry because you thought it was fun :P Hopefully that guy won't be on our plane when we bring our little one home next year... and you did it with 4! May God bless you with drama free travels to Tenwek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to know that Benadryl does not work wonders. Love you Erin and I'm glad you made it through that the difficult leg of your journey. Can't wait to hear about your shopping adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you made it there. As you wrote about the trip, I could feel the anxiety!! Hope your shopping trip is fun and you get a little break. Look forward to reading your blog and keeping up with how things are going there for all of you. Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great start! Bring it on, right?

    ReplyDelete