Today is Thursday March 29 and not much has changed. Cole feels like an 8/10 most of the time, but continues to spike fevers in the afternoon at 5pm. I could set my watch to it. We are approved to travel home via commercial flight with a nurse escort, and finally travel arrangements have been made. We fly home beginning Saturday night and will be in Grand Rapids Sunday afternoon. We will have a nurse escort to help with Cole. I think I'll take care of Cole, and have the nurse take care of Ivey.
Life in a hospital. For those of you who are asking (and will ask) what the hospital is like.
1. Wake up at 6 to rounds by the plastic surgeon (who is managing the wound VAC dressing). Surgeons round very early for two reasons: First, to get it done before your surgeries or office starts. Secondly, so that the patient and his/her family are too tired to ask a million questions. So true. From the parents perspective, I just want him to leave so I can go back to sleep.
2. Up at 7am. A true blessing is that I have an actual bed in the room next to Cole. A second blessing is that every night I am reminded to be thankful for my bed at home.
3. We then do the normal morning activities like brushing teeth, bath, am dose of antibiotics, and putting up the mosquito nets. There aren't nurses assistants, so yours truly helps Cole to the bathroom etc. Excellent father son bonding time. I keep reminding him that one day our roles will be reversed.
4. Breakfast: Chai, mandazi, sausage, a fried egg, a yogurt.
5. Various other morning activities: More doctors rounding, entertaining visitors, going to surgery, etc.
6. Get some math homework done before the afternoon fever/blah feeling.
7. Play some games, read etc.
8. Lunch at 2. Kenyans love a late lunch.
9. Screen time starts at 4. We both have a new love for YouTube videos of Britain's Got Talent.
10. Dinner while watching the only Kenyan TV channel we can stand...English Premier League.
11. Bedtime.
Pictures from around the hospital:
Stairs leading up to Cole's Ward. We had the option of a private ward or an open ward with 10 other patients. Easy choice.
Mural outside Cole's ward.
Hallway to Jean Ward, our home for the week. I love how all the hallways are outside. Easy to get fresh air.
Jean Ward. Why it is called Jean Ward? I have no idea. The nurses don't either.
Nurses Station.
Playground in the hospital courtyard.
Thanks for praying.
Thanksgiving and I suppose there may never be a time or event where you will bond more than this one... a father's love (and for sure a mother's too) carrying him through it all.
ReplyDeleteIvey... it must be in the name :)), but oh the JOY! I'll be her nurse! Plenty of blue towels.
Nothing better to bring healing to the soul than a good cup of chai and mandazi!
Hunny...its a southern thing you wouldn't understand :)). That's what you call your husband or your loved one. The Honey is for tea, but not chai :))... pure sugar for that cup of tea! Lost in translation, but still right :))
So much love...and laughter. Glad you are finding it in the midst of the storm. So good for the heart... big and small!
We're so thankful to hear that you're all heading home!!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I believe Hunny is the same spelling in the actual Winnie the Pooh books. 😁
So good to hear Cole is steady in healing. Continuing to pray for those 5:00 fevers to disappear. Prayers for an uneventful flight home!
ReplyDelete