So it’s no secret that I am not the world’s greatest runner.
I am an exercise runner, not a pleasure runner. There are those rare days
when I actually do enjoy my run, but for the most part I am panting and praying
(mostly that my lungs don’t give out and I die during this run).
However, running in Kenya is much more exciting than running
on my treadmill in Kentwood. The most exciting thing that happened on my
treadmill runs was the occasional child-destroying-the-house while I tried to run
or me tripping and falling off (I swear that only happened a few times).
Here, however, there are all kinds of exciting things. Let
me tell you about some:
*I get up at 5:45 to run. It is usually very dark
(especially if there is no moon) but I am not alone out there! There are many,
many school children walking to school at this time (yes, you read that
correctly)
*You may know that I like to run alone. However, I rarely run alone these
days. Those same school children run with me. In front of me, behind me, beside
me. Yes, I am a human ham sandwich. Yes, it is claustrophobic. But they are so
excited to run with me.
This happens at different intervals. Some will be with me in
the beginning and then turn off at their school, others I will pick up at a
different point in my path. All are wearing school shoes, backpacks, coats and
hats. (and they still could beat me hands-down in a sprint). Once I tried to
avoid them by switching sides of the road when I saw them coming. They simply
chased me to the other side.
*Some children I pass are walking the opposite way I am running.
These children yell things at me (mostly Hello! How are you?! occasional snide
comments) and expect me to high five every one of them.
*I have to be on the look-out for donkeys. It is dark
remember, so I am sometimes surprised by them. I just need to watch out that I
don’t run by the back of them and startle them. No one wants a morning donkey
kick. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
I also get stopped by groups of cows or donkeys passing,
taking up the whole road with their “shepherd” (is that what you’d call them??)
smacking them with a twig.
*The real runners are out now, training. Their legs are
about as long as my whole body and when they pass me, I think “was that
lightening?”Oh no, just a real Kenyan runner passing me as if I were standing
still. They are beautiful to watch though.
[ Side note: Kenyan runners don’t care at all about their
time in race, it’s all about the place that they finish in. They will be known
to quit a race if they can tell they aren’t going to finish at the front]
*There is a man that often runs by me in dress shoes
carrying 4 containers of milk. I don’t know why he’s in such a hurry.
*By far my favorite experience is when I pass the man who
walks up the road playing Celine Dion on his phone. I just love some good
Celine first thing in the morning.
hahaha..."I don't know why he's in such a hurry." :) Cute post.
ReplyDeleteI ran the other day. And no one was chasing me. Amazing. Not that I was running to start my running career - no. I was just running because, every once in awhile, I have this feeling that I can go no faster than a snail's pace with all these kids. It's times like those that I take off down the road. At least I come back...