From Michigan to Kenya and back, this is the true life story of a crazy family and their desire to follow Christ, wherever that may lead them. Mounds of Stone is our best attempt to organize our thoughts, chronicle our lives, and keep our friends, family, and supporters updated on all things Mitchell. Each entry is a small mound of stones to memorialize where God has been faithful.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Beans, anyone?

Eric and I recently had a discussion while driving to Ohio about how we would like to take some steps to practice self-discipline in certain areas of our life.  So we came up with a preliminary plan, a way to practice self-discipline. We decided that from Aug-Dec. we as a family would give something up or add something to our diet in regards to food. So, we decided to go meat-less in August. 
We would eat meat if it is served to us at someone's house, or if we go out (so we're not SUPER strict), but at home we were eating no meat. We were not doing it to save money, or to be healthy, but simply to recognize that there are people in the world who cannot afford to eat meat, and though we can afford it, we want to give up that right for a while. The most interesting parts has been our kids reactions. One day at lunch Cooper asked for pepperoni with his cheese and crackers. When Cole reminded him, "Coop, we aren't eating meat!" Cooper said, "Pepperoni isn't meat!" Me: Well, Cooper, what is it? Cooper: A vegetable! Oh, doesn't he wish! I have had to get a little creative in my menu planning, but nothing too crazy. There are a lot of meals you can just take meat out of (Chicken pot pie) or substitute beans in (tacos). 
The month is now over and we survived, and without too much trouble. We did learn a few things though. First, kids adapt. When I started this I thought I'd be fighting my way through most meals. And some we did. But I learned to give an encouragement (read:lecture) before the meal started about how they would eat it, and why we were doing this, we aren't going to complain, etc. Only one meal did one child have to leave the table for saying it was "gross". They ended up liking most meals (many were things we eat anyway) and even had them for lunch the next day sometimes. This gives me hope for our time in Kenya, since we will not be able to get a lot of the foods that they are used to eating (CHEESE!)
Another thing that we learned is that we like variety. The hardest part for me was that I only had about 8 choices and I made them over and over. I know I could have researched more recipes, but I wanted to make it simple and do things I thought my kids would eat. But man, I realized I don't often repeat a meal more than once or maybe twice in a normal month. There was no "throw some chicken on the grill" if I hadn't prepared for dinner. In Kenya, we will probably eat a lot of the same things over and over, so this was good practice. 
The last thing that we learned is that we really enjoy eating. :) Sometimes we really look forward to a meal, even the kids occasionally ask "what's for dinner?" and then get excited if it is something they really like. But I realized that when you have the same things over and over, or you aren't super excited about what's for dinner, you just eat and move on. Probably more the way it should be :).
Overall, a good experience for our family and hopefully we will learn something from the other disciplines we choose to inflict upon ourselves. 
If you are looking for a good read that goes a little bit along these lines, I highly recommend the book Seven: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker. It was very convicting and funny too! 

1 comment: