From Michigan to Kenya and back, this is the true life story of a crazy family and their desire to follow Christ, wherever that may lead them. Mounds of Stone is our best attempt to organize our thoughts, chronicle our lives, and keep our friends, family, and supporters updated on all things Mitchell. Each entry is a small mound of stones to memorialize where God has been faithful.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The long road....




So I am learning that recovery is a loooong road. Some days I think I am pretty much back to normal. I get all excited...until I remember that I am still not making dinner, getting up every night with the baby (isn't my mom INCREDIBLE?!), I don't really go anywhere and I still take a nap every afternoon. I wish I could freeze time while I get better. If you know me, you know I never stay home, am always on the go, and hate to miss out on anything. However, I have learned in this recovery process that in order to get better, I have to take it easy, stay home and just focus on getting better. So I miss things. At first I didn't really care, I was so tired, so weak, I just was surviving. But now I am starting to realize how impatient I am to get better so life can get back to normal! I feel like time is passing me by and I can't do the things I want to do. (Like hang out with my good friend who is moving across the ocean in 2 months! Shout out to you, R.B.!) However, I am trying to learn the lessons that He has for me during this time of quiet. This is again, from my devotional (Jesus Calling), 
"Listen to me continually, I have much to communicate to you, so many people and situations in need of prayer. I am training you to set your mind on Me more and more, tuning out distractions through the help of My Spirit. Walk with Me in holy trust, responding to my initiatives rather than trying to make things fit your plans. I died to set you free, and that includes freedom from compulsive planning. (did she write this book for me?!) When your mind spins with a multitude of thoughts, you cannot hear My voice. A mind preoccupied with planning plays homage to the idol of control. Turn from this idolatry back to Me. Listen to Me and live abundantly!"
I have learned over the last year or so what a control freak I am. I plan and plan and want things to go just as I plan them. This reminds me that that is a form of idolatry and I am being given a gift during this time, to relax and wait patiently and listen for His voice. I don't always like it, but growth and maturity is often a hard process. 
On a lighter note: the kids! 
Cole is doing well, continuing to read like crazy and love school. We have seen him act differently lately, in what we think is a response to the craziness in our lives. But we are working through it, and he will be fine in time. 
Cooper just learned to ride his bike without training wheels this weekend! My precious Cooper....how do I say this nicely....he is highly unmotivated to do most things (get dressed himself, put on his own socks/shoes, learn his letters) But when he wants to do something, by golly there's no stopping him! So he is now jetting up and down the sidewalks like a pro.
Alex is talking up a storm and loving life. He has so much joy and is such a friendly little guy, loving everyone and making us laugh all the time. We solved our crib dilemma (I am not allowed to lift him) by putting a storage bin and a step stool outside his crib and teaching him to climb over the rail. Crazy, I know, but it works. 
Tucker is doing well too. He has fussy days, and good days. He is sleeping well at night (getting up 2 times to eat) and getting big (almost 10 lbs!). Everyone thinks he looks like my dad (we agree) and he reminds us a lot of Cole as a baby. All of our other kids have fit the birth order stereotypes to a T, so we are wondering what little Tucker will be like as he gets older! 
Eric is back to work full time and sleep deprived as usual. My mom is still here, bless her heart, and will be for at least a week and up to 3 weeks, depending on how things go.
That's it for now! Thanks soooo much for your continued prayers! 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Erin! I love your honesty and your willingness to share your journey with others. I love your updates on your boys too...I don't know them well but they sound precious. Praying for a continued, smooth recovery for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Erin, thanks for the updates. Praying for you still! Let me know if you want company at any time. I can make sure the kids stay outside (ha) and we can chat over any hot drink you desire. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey friend! I read the same devotional yesterday in Jesus Calling and you are so right. It may not seem like a gift that God has given you in slowing you down, but it certainly is. Try to enjoy it and hear from Him. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing you Saturday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, you and i are such twins. i think i better read that devotional! i can only imagine how much you just want to be BETTER and getting on with life. praying for you still!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erin! Thanks for sharing your heart. I continue to think about and pray for you daily. Glad to hear you're improving each day. I read that devotional, too! Amazing how even though you and I are in very different circumstances right now, it was perfect for both of us. Hope to see you soon :)
    Sara Billin

    ReplyDelete