From Michigan to Kenya and back, this is the true life story of a crazy family and their desire to follow Christ, wherever that may lead them. Mounds of Stone is our best attempt to organize our thoughts, chronicle our lives, and keep our friends, family, and supporters updated on all things Mitchell. Each entry is a small mound of stones to memorialize where God has been faithful.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Dr. Husband

My extremely talented, hard-working husband FINALLY graduated from 26th grade on June 16th! He finished his surgery residency (5 years) after 4 years of med school and 4 years of undergrad. It has been a long road, and even though most days were VERY long, overall the journey seems to have flown by. I have to say I am so proud of him. He worked so hard, studying many nights of the week on top of working 80 hours/week, always did AWESOME on his yearly tests, and was able to minister to many, many patients.
On top of all this doctor-duty, he is also an awesome husband and father to our 4 crazies. He comes home most nights, eats dinner and then plays with the boys for 2 hours before they go to bed. They adore him. He is their favorite playmate by far. One question you can always hear around here is, "Daddy, can you play with us?". He is also an awesome (though not perfect :) husband, letting me have girls nights once or twice a month, helping me with bedtime, diapers, and cleaning the shower (his "chore").
He has given up most of his hobbies, making his family his hobby. We love it when he is home and hope now that he has a "real job" we'll see even more of him. We were able to celebrate at graduation which was a really nice dinner with all the surgery residents, some attendings and our families. Each of the 6 graduating chiefs got "roasted" by a 4th year resident and Eric's was super funny. Then we had a big 'ole graduation party here at our house with about 60 adults and 5 million children (well, that's what it felt like). It was great fun (you know how we love parties!!) and hopefully Eric felt honored as he should. Here are some pictures of our celebrating!
Congratulations Dr. Mitchell, we are SOOOO proud of you!

Me and my handsome guy

Eric's parents, his sis and bro-in law and my parents

The 6 graduating chiefs, headed out all over the country

The cake I made him

The first wave of kids


Eric with some of his guy friends 

Me with some of my favorite ladies


We did it!


4 comments:

  1. very excited for you guys as you begin this "no school" adventure knowing the learning is never over!!

    Though Eric technically has the degree and the initials after his name, Erin, you deserve major props for keeping the house running, full of kids and your endless support to your man!!

    Looking forward to how God will use you both as you venture out and show other's Christ's love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun celebration festivities!!!! We love you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love you. You two are amazing. So what now? I wish in my whirlwind I would have seen you, I feel like it was only a movie :)

    If I write will you be able to write back?

    Love you and So happy for the two of you

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Hi Erin, I don't think I ever got a chance to meet you at Cedarville, but I was in Eric unit in Lawlor my freshman year, I think his sophomore or junior year. He, Dana, Kyle, John, and others took a lonely kid from northern Michigan under their wing and made me feel welcome and accepted. I've always remembered that and been thankful that he and the guys, and the girls, of that group of friends allowed me in their lives, to be a part of them.

    I think about it often and when I saw that you guys have a blog I was compelled to write a note.

    Please tell him thank you for me.

    Matt Montgomery

    ReplyDelete