From Michigan to Kenya and back, this is the true life story of a crazy family and their desire to follow Christ, wherever that may lead them. Mounds of Stone is our best attempt to organize our thoughts, chronicle our lives, and keep our friends, family, and supporters updated on all things Mitchell. Each entry is a small mound of stones to memorialize where God has been faithful.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Top 10 Questions About Being Back


Well, we are back.  The Mitchell family has successfully navigated the 24 hours of travel and 50 year time warp that it takes to transition from Kenya back to the U.S.  Along with getting settled into our place of residence we are also in the middle of reconnecting with many people "back home."
I went back and reread my blog post from when we traveled to Kenya, and laughed at what an experience that was.  Thankfully, not too much exciting news to report about the travel back. (Except for when Alex fell getting on the "up" escalator and left his carry-on at the bottom.  He was crawling "down" to get his bag but not really going anywhere.  Only Alex.)

I'll format this blog post as a question and answer, with all questions having been posed to me in the past week.  Some of the questions are commonly asked, some are very thought provoking, and others are just hilarious. I'll let you be the judge of which is which.

1.  Have the kids said anything funny or quotable since their immersion back into the US?

ANSWER:  Yes.  When Tucker was exploring our new house in Byron Center, MI (God provided a great spot for us in Byron Center.  If you want the story, just ask!!) he asked "Why do we have two stoves?"
"Well young Tucker, one of those 'stoves' is actually a dishwasher."  Tucker then pointed at the sink and laughed like I'm the idiot, "That's the dishwasher."

While driving to the store the other day Cooper thoughtfully asked, "Why are there boxes on poles in front of everyone's house?"
"Those are called mailboxes.  The mail gets delivered to you each day," I replied.
"So the little white cars carry the mail?"
"Not for much longer." I said.

Alex: "Why do people drive so fast in America but not in Kenya?"
Dad: "In America we don't have speed bumps on normal roads, have to dodge donkeys and cows, and the roads are AMAZING!!!"

Tucker: "When are we going to go home?"


2.  What has been your favorite thing so far in America?

ANSWER: Carpet feels wonderful under your feet.  Fast reliable internet is awesome, and hugging family and friends is something you can't do with Facetime!

3.  Is there a furlough 15? (referencing the freshmen 15 lbs that people gain when going to college.)

ANSWER:  YES!!  If we continue to get ice cream twice a week.  However, Erin and I are both exercising to keep from ballooning up.   The boys are constantly telling us they are hungry and we are wondering if it is a growth spurt or if the conspiracy is true...that processed foods contain hunger stimulants!!



4.  What aspect of American culture is more apparent to you now that you lived overseas that most American's are still blinded to?

ANSWER: Great question.  A few things come to mind.  One is the freedom with which we talk about our feelings and perspectives, even in front of strangers and large audiences.  In East Africa, most people don't have many material possessions so they can't find power in money or things. Therefore knowledge is power, and if you know too much about me, you have power over me.  This leads to people being very conservative with sharing thoughts and emotions.  I contrast this with the post game interviews I watched after the U.S. won the Women's World Cup.  Over and over the question to the players was posed, "Congratulations on this amazing accomplishment.  What are you feeling right now?  What is going through your head?"  And...the players shared openly...in front of millions across the globe. Not good or bad, just different.

Also, this may sound obvious, but I notice how frivolous Americans are with material things.  In Kenya everything gets used or reused.  Not much is thrown away.  After peeling vegetables the other day, Erin made the comment, "I'm just going to throw away perfectly good vegetable peels?" In Kenya, they went as a snack to Regina's cow.  Also, we Americans love to "upgrade" to the newest even though what we have still works perfectly fine. The U.S. discards three million tons of electronic waste each year.  As we were packing, Regina wouldn't let me throw away old rewrite-able CD's.  Despite not having a computer, she said she would find someone to use them, or she would decorate with them.  Lastly, we love to remodel just because fashion has changed or we are bored with how our house looks.  Most East Africans would look at you funny if you told them you tore out your carpet, cupboards, and wallpaper just to put in a different color or style.  

5.  You lived in Kenya?  Aren't they like burning villages there and stuff? - Comcast phone salesmen.

ANSWER: No. We did have terrorist attacks, but nothing close to where we lived.  Ironically we were reading about riots here in the U.S. With increased racial tensions and the recent Supreme Court's decision on gay marriage, it is an interesting time to come back to the U.S.

6.  So did you treat patients with Ebola? - Same Comcast guy.  

ANSWER: No.  The closest Ebola patient to Tenwek was the same distance as New York to Seattle.
Here is a great graphic that puts the US, China, India, Eastern Europe, Spain, France, Germany etc. all within the land mass of Africa.  Thanks Comcast guy for the chuckle.



7.  How is the adjustment going? 

ANSWER: Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.  The outpouring of love and support from friends and family have helped with the transition.  I'm not as shocked by America as I though I was going to be.  However, I have heard that the first few weeks can be buffered by reuniting with people, enjoying technology etc. We will see how things play out.  I'm sure the hospital will be an adjustment in itself.  "You are throwing all that away?!?"  Like a hoarder after a trip to the flea market, my locker will be overflowing with used bovie pads, bowel staplers, surgical mesh etc.
The kids are doing well too.  They are occasionally moping around the house missing their friends and using the B word but we have been keeping them busy. They are reconnecting with old friends and picking up where they left off.  One oddity is that they are sleeping through the night, and not waking up until 9:00am.  For kids that used to get up at 6:45am this is an anomaly we hope becomes the norm...at least until school starts.

8.  "When's Dad going to get a job?" - Cooper (to Erin)

ANSWER:  What?  Do you think I'm a bum or something Cooper?  I'm excited that I have a job lined up with a great group of surgeons here in Grand Rapids called West Michigan Surgical Specialists.  I have some orientation the last week in July, and start seeing patients the first week in August.

9.  When you choose to go to your next place on the mission field, shouldn't the potential for impact be a greater determining factor than relative need?

ANSWER:  Thank you Jeremy Bergwerff for this MBA level question as we have a relaxing Sunday evening get together.  The answer to this question is long and complicated so perhaps I'll write a whole blog about the missiology of overseas Christian medical service and impact.  No one will read it, but at least I'll have my thoughts polished, and your "Freak-economics" brain satisfied.

10.  How can we pray for you best?

ANSWER:  Thank you for the great question Calvary Adult Bible Fellowship that we love. You can pray that our adoption process continues on unhindered, that the boys transition to school well, and that we will have clarity about our future plans.

Those were the top 10 questions thus far.  Feel free to contribute your own questions in the comment section below and I'll answer them as they come.  Also, keep looking for more blog updates on all things Mitchell, as we will keep you all posted with adoption news and decisions regarding our future place of service.

-Eric


No comments:

Post a Comment