We returned earlier this week from Soddo Hospital in Ethiopia, where we spent two weeks filling in, as they are without a surgeon right now. I know many are interested in knowing if this is where we will end up after our ministry in Kenya, but we don't know yet! It had pros and cons and is still on our potential list. Our last blog entry was some of Eric's experiences at the hospital, so I'll share a little of what I did for the two weeks.
Soddo's missionary community is much smaller than Tenwek's. There was one family there during our stay, with a 6 year old and a 3 year old. We were very happy they were there! They were very kind and hospitable to us.
| The boys with their friend Taylor |
The boys and I mainly did 3 things during out two weeks: jumped on an in-the-ground trampoline, climbed trees, and read lots of books.
| The boys with their friend Nate (upside down) |
Other than that we:
-discovered that our kids now get carsick. Two pukers= gross.
-ran into a fellow Cedarville graduate at a guest house in Addis Ababa
- learned that Ethiopians riot when their plane has been delayed for 8 hours
-discovered that Ethiopia doesn't have piki-piki's (motorbikes) like Kenya, instead they have tuk-tuks!
| A tuk-tuk! |
-housesat 2 dogs (I am the biggest dog-NOT-lover that ever lived)
-were woken throughout the night by said dogs and calls to prayer over the town's loudspeaker
-burned/destroyed half the things I tried to make while figuring out (another!) new oven
-went to a local church and were ushered to the very front (think 2000 people) to sit right next to the stage. We also understood nothing b/c it was in Amharic. We made it for over an hour with 4 kids though= success. That hour included the longest choir song I have ever heard and a very interesting drama including a huge gun and a sword.
-we had high-speed internet= awesome
-had meals at two missionaries' homes
-Alex fell 6 feet off a slide platform. Good thing that one's tough!
-we had a first- we got on the wrong airplane! We just followed the people in front of us who led us astray. To their credit, you would think our plane would be the closest to the gate we just came out of. You would be wrong.
- we read Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory and had chocolate day!
| Chocolate designs in syrup! |
-I went to the local market to buy fruit and got mobbed by street children :(
-we jumped and jumped and jumped on the trampoline
There you have it! It was a nice two weeks but we are glad to be home! School will start in just a few weeks!
LOVE reading about your life and all that you do. Praying for you and you continue to think about what comes next. I think we need to read Willy Wonka so I can have a chocolate day/party :)
ReplyDeleteEmilia and I are laughing about the play with the sword and gun. :) Glad you're home and safe. We'll pray for you as you pray about where the Lord wants you to serve in the future.
ReplyDeletegrandrapidsgrandrapidsgrandrapidsgrandrapidsgrandrapidsgrandrapidsgrandrapids (that's a subliminal message probably from the Lord...)