I had my 2nd OR
experience the other day. I got to watch a C-section! I have wanted to do this for a
long time, but every time my friend the OB calls, it’s never been a good time.
Every time I am available... there are no scheduled C-sections. You get the
idea. But it finally happened. Free babysitting from my parents, and a
pregnant Kenyan lady with a scheduled C-section.
I went intending to watch, just as
I did when I went in with Eric during surgery, but this time, they let me scrub
in! I don’t know if I was really supposed to, but someone offered, and I jumped
on it.
The actual scrubbing process went
fine. I had watched Eric do it a couple
times. I was fitting well with the
mantra of surgery training... see one, do one, teach one. I then had to figure
out how to stay sterile and get on all the other paraphernalia. (They must
teach you that in med school. I skipped med school. I’m taking the
learn-on-the-job route.) One of the doctors gave me a quick lesson on what NOT
to touch, and where NOT stand, and who NOT to let walk in front of you. (So
much to remember. On second thought,
maybe I should have gone to med school!) After all that preparation, the fun
started!
I got to stand right up at the
table, and watch them make the first incision. The doctors then continued
by cutting, yanking, pulling, and cauterizing. I can’t believe how tough the
body is; how it can handle being yanked and pulled apart. How small an incision
it takes to yank those babies out. Yep, you read correctly, babies. I got a two for one- it was twins!!
I was a legit, people. I held the bladder blade retractor, was
squirted with some bodily fluid, they passed me the babies and I even got to
squeeze the uterus.
The babies were a boy and a girl.
The mom spoke a little English, so I learned that her previous two children
were girls, so one of these twins being a boy was a big deal! (they never know
what they are having ahead of time) It is very important in this culture to
have boys, so that your family line continues. When girls get married, they
essentially leave their family for good. They don’t even see their family for
years usually. (that is why the bride’s father is paid a dowry, they are losing
a family member) The family land is also passed on to the sons, not the
daughters. So, the first twin out was a girl, but shwooo, the second was a boy!
That mama was happy.
I stuck around to watch the uterus be shoved back in, and to
see her being sewn up. Then I decided I should go back to my day job.
Next on the docket, assisting Eric with a case! ;)
Wow. Very cool. Can't wait to read the post where Eric tries to help you :0
ReplyDeleteAnd am glad I don't live in Africa: There is no dowry large enough to replace my daughters! Make sure your boys don't assimilate that trait!
Oh my goodness, so jealous of this one day in your life! Glad you had the opportunity. Keep up the good work, Dr. Mommy Mitchell! -Ann Marie
ReplyDeleteThis is AWESOME!!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteErin, you have such crazy adventures!
ReplyDelete