I love to read. Love it. I haven’t done as much of it since
living in Africa because my beloved KDL library is far, far away. I do have a
Nook, but most books are about $10 (hint, hint for a gift ideas :) so I don’t buy many.
There are books around here though, that different
missionaries own. I recently read two books, both on similar topics. I wanted
to share them with you, because you need to read them!! God is ALIVE and doing
AMAZING things in some of the darkest parts of the world.
(Warning: Possible controversial remarks coming....)
I think sometimes that the way I was raised (this is my no
means to speak badly of my parents, church, college, etc), and the churches I
have attended have put God in a box. I have always had my view of God and what
He does in the modern world. These books, however, are blowing that out of the
water. People, God is doing MIRACLES, he is raising the dead, He is drawing
people to Himself through dreams and visions. TODAY. If you want to read more
about this, here are two book recommendations.
1. I Dared to Call Him Father- by Bilquis Sheikh (http://www.amazon.com/Dared-Call-Him-Father-Miraculous/dp/0800793242)
This is a the story of a Pakistani woman who was drawn to
God and His Word when she started having dreams about God. She became a
believer and her whole world changed, including being shunned from her family.
2. The Insanity of God- by Nik Ripken (http://www.amazon.com/Insanity-God-Story-Faith-Resurrected/dp/1433673088/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402474649&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Insanity+of+God)
Oh, my word. This is the story of Nik Ripken (not his real
name) who was a missionary in Somaliland in the 90’s. He shares about the
struggles of being in such a dark place, and then his quest to interview
members of the persecuted church around the world. Their stories are AMAZING. You
will not be able to put it down. You will be changed (or you SHOULD be). Read
it. Do it. (Later, you’ll thank me. You might even plan to move to Afghanistan! )
I love book recommendations so feel free to shoot any my
way!
Happy reading!!
I want to read them! Have you ever read The Heavenly Man? Another amazing book about how God is working around the world -specifically China. God's NOT dead, he's alive and active around the world -often in ways that are nearly unbelievable to us westerners! http://www.amazon.com/Heavenly-Man-Paul-Hattaway-ebook/dp/B004UR5G0I/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=
ReplyDeleteMmmmmmmmm! Just finished Seeking Allah Finding Jesus by Nabeel Quereshi (probably spelled that last name wrong). So so so good. Eric might especially enjoy this - a great story with a logical examination of Islam vs Christianity ... And a few miracles by Awesome Jesus.
ReplyDeleteHi Erin,
ReplyDeleteI love getting the blog updates from you and Eric and hearing about your family's experiences in Africa. You mentioned how much you like to read. I have a kindle app on my iPad and download lots of ebooks from my library using the free app from http://omc.overdrive.com. Maybe KDL has something like that, too. I also get lots of free ebook deals from www.BookBub.com and David C Cook Christian ebooks at http://www.dccebooks.com. I don't know how much access you have to the internet or if being out of the U.S. would effect your access to these sites, but there are lots of ways to get free or low cost ebooks on an iPad, kindle, nook or computer. I hope that maybe some of these will be helpful to you.
Take care and God bless,
Robin Vriesman
(Nate Vriesman's Mom:)