Trip to Athens!
Saturday through Monday we went to Athens as a family. There were day trips you could take that were organized through the conference, but we had planned out what we wanted to do ahead of time and Eric spent many hours plotting, planning, reserving, researching what we were going to do. (yea Eric!)
Waiting for the bus
We
got up early and waited for the public bus (that we were pretty sure drove by
without stopping for us, only to be relieved when the real bus did stop for
us!) and hopped on for a 1 ½ hour trip to Athens. The public transportation in Greece is very nice and pretty easy to navigate. We had been staying on Evia
island. The distance between the mainland and the island if very minimal. I
feel like we could swim it.
We arrived and hopped off the bus, and had to move quickly, we had to get on
the Metro, switch from green line to red line, (with our suitcases, backpacks,
stroller and 4 kids....) find our tour group meeting at 10 a.m. (it was 9:55) AND Eric had to run our bags to our hotel. Thankfully we chose a hotel about a
block from the Parthanon so we were right there. It was on this quaint little
street, it’s was so cute. Anyway, we made it! We joined a 3 hour walking tour of
the city. The boys did really well, all things considered. We had a hard time
keeping up with the group at times since we had a stroller (that one wheel
randomly falls off of) and 3 midget walkers. Eric basically listened to the
tour guide each time we stopped and I kept the children from either a) walking into
the street b) walking off with treasures from vendors c) throwing rocks at each
other or I was busy d) giving them water and candy. Then he would summarize to me what was
said. It worked.
Look hard, we're on the right, gazing at the theatre!
After the tour I was sooo beat. We came back to our cute
little hotel (a one minute walk!) and ate lunch and I took a nap with the
littles. Eric took the big boys around the neighborhood and then they sat up on
our hotel roof.
| Hotel roof-top view |
Once everyone woke up it was time for ice cream! We got some
yummy gelato that gave us the energy to climb up the Acopolis! (the whole hill area that the Parthanon sits on top of) Pretty amazing.
I love how old it all is. We took our time looking around and taking pictures.
Then we started off to find a place for dinner. We looked in a few shops along
the way, bought the boys Greek god shirts (Alexander the Great!) and ate some
super yummy gyros. Then we put those kids to bed!
| Our fun Greek shirts, Hercules, Achilles, Alexander the Great and Pegasus! |
| A moment to remember! |
| Almost to the top of the Acropolis |
Sunday we went to Aegina Island for the day. Eric did such a
great job planning everything out ahead of time, so we knew exactly what Metro
to get on, where to transfer, where to pick up the ferry, etc. It was a 30 min.
ferry ride (it was enclosed, no risk of children falling over the edge!). It
was such a quaint, cute island! We first walked around all the shops and
restaurants, just looking around. Then on a whim, we decided to rent one of
those big huge bikes that would hold all 6 of us and peddle around. It was so
funny! The best part was going down hills. The kids loved it.
| So fun! |
We then ate some
lunch, some ice cream and swam in the sea.
We had planned to stay till 6 pm.
but by 4 we were ready to go. We went back to our hotel which was so
conveniently located, and strolled around till we found an outdoor pizza place.
We had a Greek pizza (!) and some pepperoni too. It looked more like ham so the
boys kept telling me I ordered wrong. Trying to explain that pepperoni is
different in different parts of the world was not understood. Good thing they
like ham too!
| Yummy dinner! We made the boys try Gyros and they loved them. |
Monday we set out to find Mars Hill (where the Apostle Paul
preached to the Athenians) and after a few detours we finally found it (right
after our stroller broke :( )
We brought our Bible to read Acts 17 and Eric and I were embracing this moment
and all it meant....as the boys slid around on the slippery marble rocks. Oh
well, you win some, you lose some.
![]() |
| Reading from Acts |
We then tried to do some shopping but didn’t have a lot of
success. We weren’t really in the right part of town for the kind of shopping I
was looking for. (people, I just want a Target, is that too much to ask??). We
finished out our day in Athens with McDonalds for lunch for the boys and yummy
gyros for Eric and I. (I’m pretty sure I gained 10 pounds in Greece). We then
headed back to Evia and the conference in time for dinner. Last part of the trip and some funny moments coming in the next update! Stay tuned...

I just love it! What awesome memories.
ReplyDeleteFinally just getting fast enough internet to catch up on your blog a bit! I have been laughing & laughing - such fun writing, Erin! We are really excited to see you guys! You might be happy to know I brought you some real pepperoni for pizza :) (you know how preservatives are in the US! This pepperoni might last for another 5 years!) LOVE YOU !
ReplyDelete