From Michigan to Kenya and back, this is the true life story of a crazy family and their desire to follow Christ, wherever that may lead them. Mounds of Stone is our best attempt to organize our thoughts, chronicle our lives, and keep our friends, family, and supporters updated on all things Mitchell. Each entry is a small mound of stones to memorialize where God has been faithful.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

What Christmas Looks Like in Kenya

As the holiday season approached, many people asked us to describe what Christmas looks like in Kenya.  Well, I guess how Christmas looks depends on the eyes of who is looking at it.  I'll try to describe a few perspectives, and provide some pictures to help you all back home know that there is Christmas in Africa this year!!

Christmas through Kenyan eyes:

The first interesting thing we noticed about how Kenyans celebrate Christmas is that they don't start the Christmas season at the beginning of December like most Americans.  Erin and I usually put up our tree just after Thanksgiving, start our holiday shopping on Black Friday, and get into the holiday spirit with continual playing of Christmas music.  However, we do argue about when we can start playing Christmas music in the house.  I'm a post-Thanksgiving person and Erin is a pre-turkeyfest player of holiday carols.  As I tried to understand the Kenyan culture, I asked some hospital staff in the OR if they listen to Christmas music.  When they said "yes" I then wanted to know their take on when we could listen to "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem," "Silent Night," and "Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer."  The nurses replied "Oh, a few days before Christmas."  Good thing Erin isn't married to a Kenyan.  No 101.5 FM The River continual Christmas music here.  Now that I think of it, in Kenya they don't have the same "triggers" in November that we do to signify the coming of Christmas.  There is no Thanksgiving to kick off the Christmas season, no cold, wintery days, and no hyper-intense commercialism begging you to buy the latest toys, Lexus, or Kay Jewelers jewelry.  I guess Christmas just sneaks up on them.  I like it better with a month of anticipation.

From our front porch we can see a little neighborhood of lower middle class/poorer houses.  We have gotten to know the kids from this neighborhood quite well, and they have become a resource to get to know the Kenyan culture better.  One boy named Kevin is 13 and his English is good enough for us to become friends.  When I asked him and his friends if they will get any Christmas presents, they all responded by saying "We get new Christmas clothes."  "Any toys?" I responded.  "No, just a new set of clothes that will last us the year."
On Christmas morning we passed Kevin, his brother, and their friends on the road.  They were all decked out in their new Christmas clothes and were wearing them proudly.  I was humbled as I remembered being 13 and tossing the clothes aside on Christmas morning to get to the "good stuff." Oh how spoiled I was.

Here are the boys playing bubbles with some of our neighborhood kids.  Their houses are in the background.

Christmas through the eyes of an orphan:

Tenwek missionaries have relationships with a few local orphanages, and each year they visit during the holidays to celebrate with the orphans and encourage them.  On Christmas Eve day our family joined in the ministry and went to help 68 kids without parents have a special holiday.  After a 35 minute journey down a bumpy back road we arrived to Kenduiwo Children's Home and were met with a line of smiling faces.

Kenyan Super-highway 

 Children out to greet their visitors.
Meeting room where we held our Christmas/ Jesus Birthday Party.

I was impressed at how well the kids are taken care of by their loving "father" Pastor David and his staff.  However, unlike the kids who live near our house, they would not be expecting even a set of new clothes for Christmas.  Christmas to them was a special day, but only because of the significance of Jesus birth. Other than reflecting on the miracle of God coming to earth as a man, Christmas would be just another Wednesday.  We had the pleasure of putting on a Christmas birthday party for Jesus and helping them have some fun around the holiday.  We had a good time, and as evidenced by the smiles on the kids faces, I think they had a good time too.



The Christmas tree at the orphanage. Not sure what kind of tree it is, but it isn't a pine.


Decorating for the party

Last year they tried to paint the kids toenails to help them feel special.  However, it was difficult due to the amount of dirt on the kids worn feet.  So, this year the orphans feet got washed first, then painted.  Thanks Ashleigh for the great idea and the organization of the whole day.




 Making some Christmas crafts.  I was impressed how even the teenage boys wanted to participate in everything...even in the finger and toenail painting.

 I just had to include this picture.  The babies here are always bundled up with winter hats and large sweaters even in 75 degree weather.  The winter hat here made me think of winter in Michigan.



Through the eyes of a missionary, far away from home:

"I'll be Home for Christmas"

I'll dreaming tonight of a place that I love 
Even more than I usually do.
And although I know it's a long road back,
I promise you

I'll be home for Christmas, you can count on me.
Please have snow, and mistletoe,
And presents on the tree.

Christmas eve will find you,
Where the love light gleams
I'll be home for Christmas,
if only in my dreams.

This song took on a special meaning this year as we celebrated Christmas far away from our family and friends.  It was tough being thousands of miles from the ones we love and many tears were shed as we longed to be home during the holiday season.  However, thanks to our Tenwek family we were able to have a very special Christmas at our "home away from home."
One of the other missionaries had a table top fake tree we borrowed, and we were able to have some presents brought over by visitors from the States.  

 Everyone was excited Christmas morning to open gifts.

 If you know Cooper, you know that this Big League Chew Bubble Gum was the perfect gift.

Not sure what the hot gift was this year back in the States, but here at Tenwek the "big" gift was light sabers for all.  These are a hot commodity and once broken will be kept in circulation with layers of duct tape.  Also notice the beanie babies tucked into their pants. 



We really missed having a Christmas meal with family back home.  However, we celebrated with our Tenwek family and it was a special time.  Our meal of turkey, green beans, sweet potatoes, homemade bread, and yummy dessert was shared with Uncle Mike and Aunt Katie, Aunt Nancy, and Uncle Morris.

One of the highlights of Christmas day was that we got a little snow in Kenya!!  Our friends the Davis's had some "just add water" fake snow sent in a package from the US.  It was slippery, white and fluffy, making it surprisingly realistic, just not cold.

Snow in a bucket eventually turned into a snow ball fight...


...which eventually turned into "sledding."  At the end of the day I asked the boys what their favorite part of the day was, and in unison they replied "The SNOW!!!"  I guess they are still Michiganders at heart. 

The day finished up with dinner at the house of our friends Todd and Jen.  Other missionaries joined us in the quest to stay busy so we don't miss home too much.  The night ended around 8pm so we could all try to FaceTime our families.  Good thing the internet stayed on!
 Missionary Friends

Todd and Jen

Merry Christmas, Happy Boxing Day, and Happy New Year from Kenya.  We miss everyone back home, but are excited to be where God has placed us.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful recap! We had our biggest Christmas ever this year - even though we're so far from home and family. They all sent gifts galore, which we now have to figure out how to "hide" from our Liberian friends and workers (because I feel guilty we have so much and they so little). Merry Christmas Mitchells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read! I am glad your family had a good overseas Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the picture of the babe so warmly dressed -we have been told to except our Ethiopian son/daughter to be dress like this when we meet them, AND that we should keep them that way while we are there. When in Rome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ack! "expect" not except and "dressed" not dress! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see pictures of you all enjoying Christmas in a new way this year. Looks like you all had fun! We miss you guys, but also know that this is where God has you for now, so we're happy about that. What amazing memories you're making and experiences you're...experiencing. :) Love the "snow"! I'd like it if our snow wasn't cold!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete