From Michigan to Kenya and back, this is the true life story of a crazy family and their desire to follow Christ, wherever that may lead them. Mounds of Stone is our best attempt to organize our thoughts, chronicle our lives, and keep our friends, family, and supporters updated on all things Mitchell. Each entry is a small mound of stones to memorialize where God has been faithful.

Monday, May 20, 2013

That's What I'm Doing These Days....

What we're up to these days:

The countdown till Kenya is on! We leave in less than three months...second week in August.
Here's a little of what we've been doing to prepare:

1- Garage sale/purging    Part of me loves getting rid of stuff...its so freeing; part of me hates getting rid of stuff, I feel like I am selling my life away, all my kids toys that they've loved, house decorations, baby clothes, etc. But they are only material things, I get to take my real life with me. We have pretty bad luck overall when it comes to garage sales, this time we had freezing cold/rainy May weather. Oh well. For getting rid of a lot of stuff we somehow still have a full house. Hmmmm. 

2- Selling our house  We are trying to sell this beauty. Selling a house brings up interesting emotions. You don't want to live there anymore (for whatever reason) but you become very offended when other people don't want it either. :) We are waiting on the Lord's timing. We have only had  5 showings and no offers. However, if we sold it today we'd have to move once (or even twice) before we leave, so maybe God's just helping us avoid that. We'll see! We've loved this house and I get a little teary thinking about not living here anymore. It's truely been our home. 

3- School's almost out! Can't believe Cole is almost done with 1st grade and we are almost done with our time at Vanguard Charter Academy.
 Cole has loved his time there and we have been happy with the school. Time to transition from public school to homeschool! (more below)

4- The lasts have already started- Summer is soo busy and people go on vacation at different times, so lasts have already started, last trips here or there around Grand Rapids, last playdates with certain friends, last soccer games, etc. I hate good-byes!! But we are trying to live it up and make the most of our last few months. We have a busy, busy summer. Vacation with my (Erin's) family, Eric finishes up working, we're going camping, Eric's doing a Tough Mudder, a going away party, we're going to eat a lot of ice cream, swim and hang out with friends and family. 
Cole playing AYSO soccer


5. Training- We also have training with World Medical Mission for 10 days, July 24-August 3. After thinking and re-thinking it, we have decided not to take the boys. They would be in childcare at a strange church with strangers watching them for 8-9 hours a day. So instead the grandparents are going to split up watching them. Pray for the boys, the grandparents, and us! 10 days is a long time! And it will be right in the midst of a lot of transition.



6- Figuring out homeschool curriculum- This has been keeping me busy lately, trying to figure out what we will use to teach the boys. Cooper will be in Kindergarten and there will be a class for him! 5 little kindergartners will be taught by Theresa Manchester, one of the missionary moms. I am excited for him, I think he will do well in this small class. I will be doing the bulk of Cole's schooling, with some possible co-oping with Stephanie Kelley, another missionary mom. We are trying to figure out what curriculum will challenge and engage Cole the best. There are a LOT of choices! Pray that we use wisdom in deciding. I was dreading homeschooling when I first heard that was my only option, but I am actually looking forward to it now! (shocking!) We miss Cole when he is gone all day at school and I will now get to use my teaching skills that have laid dormant for the past few years. 

Thank you for your prayers in this crazy, busy time in our lives! 

2 comments:

  1. I understand the "offended" emotions when selling a house. It's funny...I don't like the fact that my house only has three bedrooms and an unfinished basement, but when I hear someone else say that, I think, "Good grief. It's not that bad! It's such a cute house!" Hahahaha!
    So glad you're looking forward to homeschooling. Now, if only I could convince you to do it in the US and not Africa... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you in all these preparations and "lasts" and "good byes."
    So great that Theresa is going to teach kindergarten! She is so wonderful.
    Enjoy these days...
    : ) Heather

    ReplyDelete