From Michigan to Kenya and back, this is the true life story of a crazy family and their desire to follow Christ, wherever that may lead them. Mounds of Stone is our best attempt to organize our thoughts, chronicle our lives, and keep our friends, family, and supporters updated on all things Mitchell. Each entry is a small mound of stones to memorialize where God has been faithful.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

So, how's life with 4 kids??

People often ask me, "how's life with four kids?". Honestly, it depends on the day. Some days, I feel like "I've Got This!", everyone is fed, dressed (that may mean pajamas- people, don't expect too much) and all pee has found its way into the potty. However, sometimes there are weeks like this one, where I feel like I am drowning in children. I felt a true connection with the man that wrote this: "I’m sorry.  I had no idea we had so many freaking kids. Really.  Having four kids is not having four individual children.  That sort of “simple math” does not apply to children.  1+1+1+1 does NOT equal 4.  Adding up children is like another form of Eastern math that none of us understand.  1+1+1+1 clearly equals 64.  You have 64 children.  That’s the only thing that could explain why my bedroom sounded like an overcrowded daycare in the hood from 7-7:30am and 3:45-8:00pm.  The correct (eastern) math is 1x4x4x4.  And that equals 64.  You have 64 children.  And I had no idea.  I’m sorry." after suffering in his bed with the flu for a week.  (Aaron Ivey) 
This week, four kids feels like 64. I'm tired from staying up late all weekend with awesome friends (don't regret), Eric's working till 8:00+ each night, I am potting training (YES-STILL!), I started cloth diapering again (I know, glutton for punishment here), I've had appointments, a crawling inquisitive baby, kids who want 3 meals a day (how demanding they are!) and my house is a dirty pit. 
The crazy part? We want more kids! (right, Eric? Right?) As much as I wish our little girl(s) was here with us, as much as I ache for her to be here with her forever family, I know that God's timing is perfect. Let's be honest, she might get lost in the hot mess that we are this week. As I write this, the natives are probably flooding the bathroom or trying to feed their baby brother whole hot dogs, peanuts and other equally dangerous non-baby foods.....I better go..... Lord, thank you for your perfect timing. And for not always going with my "really good, super specific, perfect plan". 

2 comments:

  1. Wait a second. You said "all the pee is in the potty." You lost me. I only have TWO boys and never once since they entered my home has the pee EVER been all in the potty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand!
    I also agree with the comment above. I asked Nate if he could be an example for the boys to follow and sit while he goes to the bathroom from now on so I don't have to clean the toilets so much. Those little boys CAN NOT aim very well. But, he didn't like that idea... ;)
    I've been potty-training Tommy as well. Just started this week and I think I've washed 64 underwear/pant combinations from #1...and #2, which makes me think it would be better for him to be in diapers until he trains himself at 5 years old. Maybe that will be my next plan of "attack."
    Hang in there friend. I'm hanging with you.

    ReplyDelete