Disclaimer: This is full disclosure. Don't judge.
So 33 has been a big year for me. I had my 4th baby. Eric graduated residency. I had a near-death experience. But what I want to write about is how it has taken me 33 years to finally come to the point where I am learning who I really am and am becoming confidant in that. I wouldn't say that I was necessarily an insecure person, but there were a lot of things in life that other people thought or did differently than I, and it always made me want to rethink my position. I just wasn't confident in being different. I felt that if other people felt strongly about something, then I should consider thinking the way they do. That is fine, to an extent. But I am learning that there is no "right way" in most cases. (Unless we are talking about sin, there there is a right and a wrong) My opinion can be different than my friends, my peers, my family, even than people I respect. I have felt pressure (self-imposed for the most part) to be a certain way. But God has created me uniquely, with different likes, abilities, desires, goals and gifts than anyone else. I have seriously struggled with guilt over some of these things for a long time. But God is giving me freedom from that. So here are some things I have learned, first what I used to believe, and now what I have realized is true for me: (some are big things, some are not so important)
I should read more of the classics--> I've tried. I just don't like them. I have a hard time understanding old language. So what? I can read what I want!
I should buy/feed my family organic food---> I would love to. I think it is great, I really do. But I can't afford it. So we'll just eat a balanced diet of pesticide laden food and pray for mercy.
I shouldn't drink pop.---> It's not the best thing for ya, but a Diet Coke every other day just makes me happy. And keeps me from falling asleep while reading Wild Animal Babies for the 18th time.
I should not buy anything processed, but make all my own bread, can all my own food and avoid all
preservatives---> Again, I love to homemake things, but at this point in life, I am thankful for Meijer Unsweetened Applesauce.
I should be on the ground playing with my kids all the time ----> I am more of a boardgames, books, puzzles, baking kind of girl. I am no WWF wrestler. I hate getting my hair pulled and elbows in my eye. And I have a husband for that!
I should have my baby on a schedule----> In most areas of life, I am super organized, scheduled and together. But this baby #4 seems to like to go with the flow, and that works for us this time, with carpooling, grocery shopping and 3 other kids.
I should like (and use) the cloth diapers I have---> Okay people, I've tried. And I hate them. I am NOT the pioneer woman after all. I will have to use them in Africa (Lord have mercy), so I am going to take a little hiatus from them until then. Don't judge. Who really likes scraping poop?
I should stay home more days and not go out so much---> I am who I am. I am an out and about kind of girl. I have passed that on to my kids. So we LIKE to go out most days. And that's okay.
I should be able to clean the house, make dinner, play with my kids, do the grocery shopping, write thank-you notes, and sew curtains----> I can't do it all. (and I don't even know how to sew a button, let alone curtains!)
After 4 years of running, I should be able to go faster and farther than I can---->I know this is shocking, but I do not have a runners body. I pant, gasp for breath, do my absolute best, and still snails pass me. So I will just go my own speed and be thankful that my body works. After all, just 6 months ago I couldn't walk up the stairs!
For my height, I should weigh a certain amount-->So what girl do you know that doesn't struggle with this on some level? Thanks a lot, American culture! Still working on this one, but trying to love the body God gave me. (scars and all!)
I should decorate my house--->I love all of your beautiful homes ( I really do!) but I've been called to a simpler life. And I am super cheap. And nice stuff is expensive.
I should be a deep thinker---> I wish I were, I really do, but for Heaven's sake, I occasionly get lost in my Sunday school class. (Heidi Vriesman, back me up here)
I should have strong opinions about everything--->I just don't. I am middle of the road about most things and that's okay.
So there you have it. What is God teaching you??
Erin! I LOVE this post. Such amazing honesty. Though, I'm not a mom, we do share something in common...my hardest year of life...yet my most learning year of life was when I turned 33. That's when I got incredibly sick with the Dysautonomia and learned that God was so much more real and close than I ever believed. I learned who I was and who I wasn't. Just reading your post made me identify so much!! The funny thing is: when I would think back to my 33rd year of life and that it was by far my hardest...I also think to myself, Jesus had his hardest year at 33 and look at the Glory of the Lord because of it. So, what a great perspective, Erin! Love it...Love you! :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE this and LOVE you! :) This is a great post and I laughed my way through the whole thing because I can totally relate on most of them... Classics?!? What?? Why?? :) And Rachel Brewer just fainted... :) I love that we (our circle of friends)are all different. Its why we all get along so well and why we need each other so much!
ReplyDeleteSuper, duper post Erin. I can relate to almost all of them. Except the whole "getting lost in Sunday school". I NEVER get lost. (clearing throat, shifty eyes)
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT!!! Great post, blessed my heart -especially as things are certainly about to change all over again for my family with another babe. Once again we will be shifting our normal and more than likely bucking just about every culture out there(on one point or another) while doing it!
ReplyDeleteMay these 33yrs of learning serve you well in Kenya!
Hey! This was a fun post Erin. I think I knew most of this about you anyway but great to see you put into your words. 33! What an age! I think I'm growing more into my own skin too. In few years I may be one of the only Mothers in our church that isn't homeschooling!!!
ReplyDeleteWow - my friend shared this post on Facebook, and I LOVE it!! We moms/ladies are under so much pressure all the time, and we don't have to be the same as other people!! Your point about decorating the house really resonated with me - my kids are 4, 2, and 1, and I take care of them, home-preschool the older 2, and occasionally attempt to clean the house, be a wife, and be a friend...and I don't have time for much beyond that! :) Loved the encouragement about the 'pesticide-laden' food and the applesauce, I'm definitely trying to be balanced in those areas, and your post was very encouraging. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm way behind reading blog posts, but I'm glad I finally managed this one! I call this "Slaying your fantasy self," and it's been a big benefit of my 30s, too. I just finished purging my bookshelf of all my "status" books - the ones I kept there b/c I'm an English major, and English majors are supposed to have Important Books on their shelves, even if they're collecting dust b/c they've never, ever been opened, not even once. (Sorry, "Wuthering Heights.") Fantasy Sherrie was going to read all those books; Real Sherrie finds them horribly, terribly boring. BORING. Same with crafty projects (I just unraveled that shawl I've been "knitting" for the last five years) ... and pretending that I understand what's going on in a mind map ... and that I should go to that event just b/c I've been invited, even though I'm exhausted and it sounds dull. Brandi's right - this is why we have a wonderful circle of friends with diverse gifts. (Thank you, Erin, for planning my daughter's princess party, another task I dreaded!)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad there is going to be someone like you at Tenwek! I'm not a mom, but if I were, I imagine I'd write a similar post. Looking forward to meeting you in a couple weeks at GMHC. :-)
ReplyDeleteI could plagiarize this and sign my name. I mean, just about every point. Nice to know there is a Soul mate out there . Thank you for taking a bunch of guilt trips off my shoulders. I needed that permission to let go of some of my own self-talk that isn't getting me anywhere. At age 51.
ReplyDeleteLove, ~Judi